Voundou Baptist Health Center

Voundou Baptist Health Center

Historical Background
What became known as Voundou Baptist Health Centre started as a primary health centre (PHC) under the Life Abundant Primary healthcare programme (LAP) on December 12, 2008 with two village health workers. This was the initiative of the community through the CBC Church in Voundou. The people had great health needs and in addition to having these needs met, they wanted affordable and quality health care services.
One year after the PHC was created, there was an increasing demand for services which could only be offered by more trained staff. In September 2009, a trained nurse from LAP was transferred to the Voundou PHC. With the increasing work load and demand for laboratory services, another staff, this time a Lab Auxiliary was transferred to the PHC.
With LAP’s recommendation, the PHC in Voundou was upgraded into a full-fledged health centre on January 1, 2013. On February 9, 2013, the he CBC Health Services fully took over the health centre from LAP.
In 2014, Voundou Baptist Health Centre had 12 staff including one screener. An average of 400 patients are seen in one month. The health centre operates on a two-shift system; 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. After 9 p.m., a staff is placed on call. The common diseases seen here are malaria, intestinal parasites (amaebiasis, diarrhea), gastritis, respiratory tract infections and hypertension). Of all clients consulted at the health centre, 60 per cent are from Voundou and the other 40 per cent come from neighbouring villages such as Ngoke, Banta, Nyangafou, Nguila and Maa Jerusalem.


Services Offered
The services offered in Voundou Baptist Health Centre include general consultation, registration/payment, laboratory, pharmacy, treatment room for minor surgeries, maternal child health (MCH) services like family planning, prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV, antenatal clinic (ANC), deliveries (an average of 9 deliveries conducted every month) and infant welfare clinic and security services. There is also an observation service for patients needing intravenous infusions and blood transfusions who are placed on observation. 
Voundou Baptist Health Centre carries out outreach to a village called Maa Jerusalem once every month. During the outreach visits, an average of 17 patients are seen. The people of Maa Jerusalem are now advocating for a primary health centre (PHC) from LAP.


Location: The health centre is found in Voundou village in Mbangassina Subdivision in Mbam et Kim Division of the Centre Region of Cameroon. It is situated about 120km northeast of Yaounde.  It is in Ntui Health District precisely in the Voundou Health Area with Voundou Baptist Health Centre taking the lead in the provision of quality healthcare to the population.


Contact Information
Tel.: (+237) 675795658 (Chief of Centre)
                     652292687 (Health Centre)
Website: www.cbchealthservices.org